Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The Christian Pursuit

"I work so I can enjoy my free time."  

Many people view life this way.  We give our time to our employer in exchange for money.  We use the money to fund whatever it is that makes us happy.  Some make the goal of retirement their focus.  Some enjoy hobbies, sporting, or camping.  On the surface, this seems to be a pretty decent way of going through life.  Christianity, though, sheds a different light on this thought process.

“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me" (Galatians 2:20).

When we become a Christian, we stop living with the purpose of pleasing ourselves. While it certainly is not wrong to enjoy the fruit of our labor, this can no longer be the driving force behind our efforts.  

Psalm 1 describes one who has forsaken the worldly way of living and has found a new focus upon God's word.  It begins with the term "blessed," meaning "approved of God."  The psalm goes on to explain that as this man who is approved of God finds delight in God's law, meditating on it day and night, he becomes "like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season.  Its leaf also does not wither, and whatsoever he does shall prosper."  In Psalm 1, God lays out the way to gain His favor and to receive His blessings.  

As Christians, let us make being approved of God the driving force in our lives!  While enjoying the things of this earth is definitely a blessing, our goal must be to seek first God's kingdom and His righteousness, Matthew 6:33.  The promise that "all these things will be added to you" is a promise that if we focus on pleasing God first, the other things will fall into place.  Let us make Christianity our pursuit, not "enjoying our free time."
J

1 comment: