Monday, September 17, 2018

Sometimes we need help with what's broken.

I was about 8 years old when it happened.  My mother had just been given a gift of decorative soaps shaped like turtles.  They were pretty cool, I thought.  I wanted to touch them and handle them, and see the carving up close.  When she sat them down on a table in the church foyer and walked away, I scuttled over and immediately had one of the delicate carvings in my hands.  I marched him around a stack of bulletins, sat him on a change-for-children can, and was having a grand old time.  Tragedy struck when I looked away for a moment and relaxed my grip.  The tiny soap turtle fell, and his head broke off right in the middle of the thinly-carved neck.  I was beside myself.  I saw my 8 years flash before my eyes, imagining the terrible punishment I would receive for breaking my mother's brand-new soap.  As the tears rolled down my face and I contemplated a hiding place, I heard a very big and very kind voice from behind me.  "It looks like you have a problem, young man."  It was Gib Smith, a tall man whose son was my friend.  I picked up the little soap figurine and croaked out that I hadn't meant to break it.  I welled up again as Gib took the pieces from me.  "I think we can fix this.  There's no reason to cry, just yet."  Gib walked me to the water fountain, and took the tiniest droplet from near the drain.  He settled the droplet on the spot where the head had broken off, and restored the figurine.  There was not the slightest hint that anything had ever happened to the little turtle.  Gib had fixed what I thought was unfixable!  He replaced the turtle on the table next to its counterpart and sent me to the bathroom to wash my face so that it didn't look like I had been crying.  

Sometimes we need a little help handling a situation that we don't know how to repair.  Who better than He who knows all to present a solution?  

Have you encountered a difficult life situation?  Remember that God's solutions are always best.  Do you need help?  Remember that God's help is always the best.  Please know that God's people are always willing to point the way to God.

Church of Christ at Vermilion
(440) 967-6757
5116 Driftwood Drive
Vermilion, Ohio 44089

1 comment: